Pineola is an unincorporated community in Avery County, North Carolina. Its boundaries, in general, span a three-mile radius from the intersection of U.S. Route 221 (US 221) and North Carolina Highway 181 (NC 181).
In the center of Pineola is the hundred plus years old Pineola Presbyterian Church, which is an architectural landmark and historically significant to Avery County. A number of choose and cut Christmas tree farms dot the community for seasonal visitors. The Linville River flows through the area and is impounded by a dam into what was the original Anthony Lake for several resort communities. The Blue Ridge Parkway passes through the southeast portion of the area.
In 1911, a post office was established in the area known as “Saginaw”. On July 21, 1914, the community was renamed Pineola after the Pine trees growing in the vicinity and Ola Penland, daughter of a local hotel keeper.
During the early 1900s, Pineola was the site of a large logging operation and sawmill, owned by the W.M. Ritter Company. The East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad (ET&WNC or “Tweetsie”) operated in the community until 1939 when it received permission from the Interstate Commerce Commission to abandon Pineola.
Pineola, North Carolina
|Column 1||Column 2|
|Named For||Ola Penland|
When Lola Ola Penland was born on 13 October 1881, in North Carolina, United States, her father, Leander Hamilton Penland, was 38 and her mother, Martha Jane Angel, was 36. She married Dock Thomas Pethel Sr. in 1902. They were the parents of at least 2 sons and 3 daughters. She died on 19 December 1979, in Gainesville, Hall, Georgia, United States,
at the age of 98, and was buried in Alta Vista Cemetery, Hall, Georgia.